Finding Your Way Through Grief by Marty Tousley (Paperback)

Have you read a great book or recommendations and want to share it with other members? You can do it here! We want to read about your favorite book, what you liked, and what the coolest part was.
Tracy
Site Admin
Loss: 01 May 2007
Loved Ones Name: Jim
Second Loss: 21 Oct 2013
lontwo: Karen

Finding Your Way Through Grief by Marty Tousley (Paperback)

Postby Tracy » March 11th, 2014, 10:43 pm

Finding Your Way Through Grief.jpg
Finding Your Way Through Grief.jpg (19.95 KiB) Viewed 1672 times
Finding Your Way through Grief: A Guide for the First Year, Second Edition Paperback by Marty Tousley

Originally published in 1999, this popular and well-received book is a sensitive, informative guide to help survivors understand and cope with the feelings and experiences they're likely to encounter in the first year following the death of a loved one. Revised and expanded in 2008 to include a fourth section on Helping Another in Grief, this second edition is designed to help readers dispel some of the common myths and misconceptions about grief and loss; understand the grief process as a normal yet highly personal response to loss; know what feelings and experiences may be expected as normal, both in anticipation of major loss and in the first year of grief; recognize the physical, emotional, social and spiritual effects of grief; understand the differences in mourning patterns among various family members, including children and adolescents; find and explore the many and varied ways of managing grief; get through difficult celebration days such as anniversaries, birthdays and holidays; move from merely surviving grief towards transcending it; and know better how to respond to another person in mourning.

Reviews

April 13, 2009
A great book for this time of my life.,
By P. S. Murray (Western KY, USA)
This is the best book I've found on this subject. I've learned a lot about myself and have been able to accept certain things and move on the next challenge. It helps you understand that this can be a long process

May 31, 2009
A wonderful bereavement aid,
By Angel (Arizona)
This book is a wonderful grieving aid. I only wish I had been introduced to this book when I was going through my divorce. Grieving the loss of a 30 year marriage was so painful and filled with so many questions that this book answers. I recommend this book for those who are grieving the loss of anything important in their life.

March 21, 2010
An Exceptional Guide,
By Rita M. Reynolds "author of Blessing The Brid... (Batesville, VA)
Losing anyone dear to us brings a crisis to our lives that is beyond definition. Whether a parent, friend, partner, sibling, spouse or animal companion, the pain is so often beyond measure that we feel as if nothing and no one can bring us out of our grief. Marty Tousley, Bereavement Counselor and member of Hospice of the Valley, Phoenix AZ offers a book that quite likely will be the best guide through the grieving and healing process following such a loss, that anyone would need. Finding Your Way Through Grief takes us through that first, most traumatic year following the death of a beloved one. The book is divided into four parts for easy referencing and each section studies loss and grief in depth, from the various stages of shock, confusion, anger and guilt, to name a few, to how to find a support group and professional help. There is a section devoted to helping a child deal with grief, and how to work through the death of a dog, cat, or other companion animal. Marty Tousley, highly professional in her field of grief counseling, writes from experience as a bereaved parent and bereaved child, with a clear sense of compassion. The text is well organized, easy to follow from the beginning or access at any point in the book, with suggested ways to help another person who is suffering through grief. This is an important feature, for anyone who is grieving the loss of a loved one needs any such help to be concise and easy to comprehend. A resource section follows the text with further reading material including books and magazines and grief healing discussion groups. I highly recommend this book - it should be in everyone's personal library.

January 9, 2013
Finding Your Way through Grief: A Guide for the First year
By Michael D. Polley
Very Good Book! thanks so much for offering this book - very helpful through my friend's time of grief -

August 20, 2013
Straight-forward and practical guide to grieving,
By Lesley from Sydney
This is a highly readable and useful companion to grieving, written by the experienced professional counselor, Marty Tousley. As well as her professional experience, Marty has also experienced grief first hand and knows what she is talking about on a personal level.

Her book is straight-forward and full of common sense, and is organized into sections that you can dip into as and when you need them. She explains what to expect, what reactions are perfectly normal, and how to cope with the roller coaster ride of emotions.

There are many myths around grief, and Tousley debunks all the most common ones, and helps you to manage when people are unintentionally unhelpful or downright hurtful.

For those who are friends or relatives of the bereaved the book has an excellent section on how to help others cope with grief.

Tousley doesn't shy away from the topic of grieving for our pets, and acknowledges that grief for an animal can be as painful and real as for our human companions.

Whatever the cause of our grief, this book is a down to earth, practical and comforting guide, helping us to mourn our loved ones, while learning about ourselves and rebuilding our lives.

Return to “Books”